670-694 Vernon Ave, Glencoe, IL
- 23,500 SF
- 2 Stories
- Built 1902 / Renovated 1997
- Office, Retail, Residential
About the Building
For over 100 years, Wienecke Court has been one of Glencoe's popular shopping destinations. Built in 1902, the original structure was Wienecke Hardware and General Store, owned by Henry C. Wienecke who began his business in a single small building.
As the area prospered and demand for shopping alternatives increased, so did the number of Wienecke’s buildings. By the 1940's his store was Glencoe's largest commercial business and the anchor of the Vernon Avenue business district. In the 1950s, Wienecke’s children inherited the business, which continued to prosper until 1993.
In 1995, Friedman Properties purchased the property from the Wienecke family and redeveloped the property to restore its original architectural elements. Following the redevelopment, the Village of Glencoe's Historic Preservation Commission recognized Friedman Properties for its work updating the buildings to meet contemporary business needs while retaining the property’s character and architectural integrity.
Today the property is home to numerous local businesses.
Features and Amenities
- Owner managed
- Strong neighborhood demographics
- Ample outdoor parking
- Retail stores
- Residential rental units