1147 S Wabash, Chicago, IL
- 40,000 SF
- 15,000 SF Typical Floorplate
- 2 Stories
- Built 1928 / Redeveloped 2007
- Office, Retail
About the Building
Located at the corner of Wabash Avenue and Roosevelt Road, 1147 S Wabash was designed by David Saul Klafter and originally opened in 1928 as the Union Bus Depot. The building was the city’s main bus station until 1953 when Greyhound moved to the corner of Clark and Lake streets.
After a long period, the building fell into disrepair. Friedman Properties worked closely with City of Chicago to save the building and transform it into an anchor of the booming South Loop corridor.
The building’s distinctive features have been carefully preserved, including the original terra cotta façade and graceful classical ornamentation. Friedman Properties also retained the grand staircase between the cellar and first floor as well as much of the original granite and marble flooring.
The building is now home to Trader Joe’s, Potbelly Sandwich Shop, and office and medical users. The immediate area enjoys excellent access to public transportation and tremendous residential density.
Features and Amenities
- Located in the South Loop
- Owner managed
- Secure building with Sentex security system and 24-hour surveillance
- Excellent access to public transportation
- Surface lot for Trader Joe’s customers with ample public parking nearby
- Home to Trader Joe’s and Potbelly Sandwich Works
- Tenant-controlled HVAC
- Operable windows
- One passenger elevator and one freight elevator