Goodman Theatre Center
60 W Randolph, Chicago, IL
- 55,000 SF
- 9,000 SF Typical Floorplate
- 4 Stories
- Built 2000
- Office, Retail, Event Venue
- Event space info: Club Petterino's
About the Building
The Kenneth Sawyer Goodman Memorial Theatre has been in operation since 1925. Kenneth Sawyer Goodman was an influential figure in Chicago’s growing noncommercial theatre community. After his death in 1918, his parents chose to memorialize their only son by pledging money to establish a repertory theatre and school of drama in his name.The original Goodman Theatre opened behind the Art Institute of Chicago.The repertory company was disbanded in 1931, during the financial difficulties of the Depression, but the drama school continued. The Goodman separated from the Art Institute in 1976 while the theatre and school separated in 1978. The theater was acquired by DePaul University.
In the 1990s, the theatre company began to explore options for a new facility. They settled on a location in the Loop—at Dearborn and Randolph Streets in the Theatre District—and partnered with Friedman Properties to build new commercial office, retail, and restaurant space in conjunction with the theater.
Sparked by Friedman Properties’ commitment to world-class art and architecture, the building’s floor-to-ceiling windows double as a soaring 3-story glass canvas for displaying electrifying light shows nightly. The office windows and rotunda are equipped with 240 computer-controlled light fixtures which coordinate with audio elements. Patterns and waves of light wash over the Randolph Street façade’s 96 windows, creating a moving festival of color. This specialty lighting transforms Goodman Theatre Center into a compelling sculpture and metaphor for Chicago’s theater district: office building by day, vibrant center for the arts by night.
Features and Amenities
- Located in the Loop Theatre District across from the Daley Center
- Secure building with Sentex security system and 24-hour surveillance
- Excellent access to public transportation
- Ample parking nearby
- Home of Petterino’s, Petterino's To Go and Corner Bakery. Directly connected to The Goodman Theatre
- One passenger elevator and one dedicated freight elevator
- Convenient Central Loop location