100 W Kinzie / 400-408 N Clark
- 30,000 SF
- 7,000 SF Typical Floorplate
- 3 Stories
- Built 1870s
- Office, Retail
About the Building
The four adjoining brick buildings that currently stand at 400-408 N Clark were part of an intense rebuilding effort that immediately followed the Chicago Fire of 1871. Prior to the fire, the area had been densely built up with stores, hotels, and theaters. Title records suggest Matthias Schaub built the two north buildings in 1872, and Henry Apfel built the two south buildings in 1873.
The buildings are typical of small-scale 1870s commercial construction featuring tall windows with stone lintels or shallow brick arches above. At one time, the buildings all included wood or metal cornices along their rooflines.
Throughout the years these buildings were home to a variety of small stores, with hotel rooms and offices on the upper floors. One of Chicago's first professional architects, John M. Van Osdel, had his offices on the upper floor for 406 N Clark in 1882, while the Acme Hotel was at 400 North Clark throughout the 1920s.
Features and Amenities
- Located in River North
- Office entrance located at 100 W. Kinzie
- Owner managed
- Secure building with Sentex security system and 24-hour surveillance
- 11' high ceilings with exposed brick and hardwood floors
- Excellent access to public transportation
- Ample public parking nearby
- Tenant-controlled HVAC
- Operable windows
- One passenger elevator and one dedicated freight elevator
- Surrounded by award-winning restaurants and high-end retail
- Steps from the Loop and Merchandise Mart